June 1917, armed forces from the Commonwealth were sent to relieve the French forces situated along the front line from the North Sea to Nieuwpoort. The forces held this sector for approximately six months.
The town of Koksijde is situated about 10 kilometres behind the front line. The town was used for R & R, but the cemetery, which had been started by French troops became the most important of the Commonwealth cemeteries on the Belgian coast and was used at night to bury the fallen soliders brought back from the front line. During 1918, Commonwealth naval casualties from bases in Dunkirk were buried in the CWWG cemetery at Koksijde.
The CWWG cemetery at Koksijde was used again during the Second World War, principally to bury the casualties sustained during the defence of the Dunkirk-Nieuwpoort perimeter in May 1940.
The cemetery now contains 1,507 Commonwealth burials of the First World War, including 14 Canadian and 19 Australian soldiers. The French graves from this period have since been removed.
Of the 155 Second World War burials, 22 are unidentified, and for 2 Australian soliders this now peaceful cemetery in Koksijde marks their final resting place.