We mostly associate a visit to the Belgian Coast with the summer holidays but Oostduinkerke in the winter can offer a refreshing weekend break. Here is my list of the top 10 things to do in Oostduinkerke in the Winter:
1. A gentle walk along the beach from Oostduinkerke to Nieuwpoort will take your around 40 minutes. At the end of the beach there is a wooden pier so you could stop here or continue on towards the Yacht habour.
2. A visit to NAVIGO, the Fishing Musem in Oostduinkerke is a great activity for raining days. The aquarium will keep the kids occupied and afterwards you can head over to the old Fisherman Pub and try a local beer.
3. Look for the wild minature ponies in the sand dunes. There are great walking paths through the dunes including the Ter Ydewandelroute where you are sure to spot the local 'wild minature ponies'
4. Check out the Unesco World Heritage listed Horse Fisherman. To see the local fishermen go fishing for shrimps on horseback stop by the visitors centre in Oostduinkerke
5. Visit the remains of the Ten Duinen Abbey and it's museum. The museum has a great virtual reality program that will transport you back in time to 1490 and life in the Abbey
6. Take a road trip to Ypres and visit the battle fields and Commonwealth War Graves Cementaries. Finish your day off by attending the Last Post ceremony at the Menin Gate.
7. Try out the 28 kilometer Mountain bike trail, with 16 kilometers taking you through protected natuur reserve areas
8. Visit the Westfront Museum in Nieuwpoort and learn how 2 local heros were able to stop the German's during WWI
9. Sample some great local cheese at the Moerenaar Cheese Farm
10. And last but not least come and say hi to us, enjoy a great coffee and maybe something to eat